I’m a pretty flexible guy and church planting has forced me to stay that way. I honestly think we can make God laugh when we tell him our plans and how we want things to happen. Just think about this… we meet in rented space (our third space in less than 2 years), we set up and tear down every week with different people helping and sometimes at different times and even different days), we have no office (unless you count a lot of the local restaurants), we often can’t let people know about things until only days (or even hours) before, and the list could go on.
Here’s a few ideas about surviving with flexibility,
- Understand that a schedule is a guideline, not always a strict timeline so allow for changes
- Be willing to say “yes” to things you don’t want to do and allow others to say “no” even if it messes up your plan
- Always acknowledge that there might be another way to accomplish you goal
- Think in terms of contingency plans (what will we do if…)
- Expect changes, don’t fight them
- Learn to laugh at yourself
- Practice saying things like, “It’s all good” and “we can make it work”
- You can depend on people but you need to trust God
What are some of the things that you do to help you deal with the constantly changing state of your life?